Tuesday, March 10, 2009

How it started

I have always thought, what would happen if we couldn't get any gasoline? With oil being something that we have finite supplies of, I realized this will be a reality one day, yet, no one seems to be preparing for this eventual fate. This seemed really dumb to me so I decided I would build a vehicle that could "weather the storm" so to speak. I did research for a few years around diesel engines. I learned they can burn lots of different things, and this seemed like a suitable choice for a post-apocolyptic vehicle. I have always loved motorcycles, cars seem like a boring waste of space to me, that is why I own four motorcycles and no cars! One thing I love about motorcycles is that they go FAST. After going through a lot of specs on a lot of diesel engines, I realized it would be beyond my skills to make a fast diesel bike. It would either be huge, heavy, highly engineered and somewhat quick; or small, reliable and slow as slugs. It was at this point that I started looking into Electric motors as a new choice for the ride of the afterworld. Electricity can also be made (and stolen) from many sources. So I started in on my research in electric vehicle technology. I realized that the new constraint here would be cash money. The motor and batteries I wound up using cost me almost $6000! I could have fit another $4000 worth of batteries into the frame I used, but, I am happy with the performance and weight of the machine I built. Lets move on...



No comments:

Post a Comment